Week in Review

We ended up not going on our vacation, so this week was Emma's first full week of high school. We had a great week! Not only did we have a productive school week, I also felt good and got many extra things done, and Emma's back has healed and she was able to return to gymnastics. Picking up where we left off schoolwise,  this week we accomplished:

BF History and Literature: Chapter 2 and the beginning of chapter 3 in, "Streams of Civilization". We learned about the Sumerians and Mesopotamia, Old Egypt, Middle Egypt, and began New Egypt.

Writing: we did six lessons, and Emma has begun her first essay for this year.

Algebra: She completed seven lessons, but began struggling with distribution, so we slowed it down and did extra practice and only one lesson a day for the second half of the week.

Chemistry: Emma read chapter one, answered all the study questions, did experiment one, and Friday we watched the intro and first segment of Chemistry 101 DVD. I thought it was a phenomenal video, and am really glad I decided to supplement her normal chemistry with this DVD series. Emma thought it was ok, but I think I enjoyed it more than she did.

French: this is our fun subject. While I am liking every single curriculum choice this year, when we do French we laugh a lot, and just simply have fun with it. We did the first five lessons, and Emily is really excelling. She remembers her vocabulary and new phrases well, and does pretty well with pronunciation too. Galore Park moves quickly, their goal being able to actually converse in French. It is a different approach to how I learned French way back in the day, but I think it is a better approach.

After six weeks off for a fractured vertebra, Emily also returned to gymnastics team Wednesday. She is not doing full gymnastics, only "light" practice, but she is so thrilled to be back at it. Wednesday she had no pain whatsoever. Friday she had minor pain when she attempted to work on vaulting, and also doing her front walkovers, but she has learned her lesson about persevering with an injury, and stopped any painful activity immediately.

All in all this was an excellent first week. Going into my tenth year homeschooling, I can say this was the BEST first week I've ever had. It is nice for me to be down to only one student, and be able to concentrate on one on one teaching. I somehow chose almost the perfect curriculum in all subjects. I have been feeling very well healthwise, and not only kicked butt with school, but also got a lot of work done I've been very behind in. Such simple things as paying bills, vacuuming, and going to grocery stores has been a struggle for me this year after dying, being in a coma, and going through a long physical and mental recovery. It was so nice to have such an awesome week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Weeks 17, 18, and 19, Christmas Break Begins

Done with 9th grade