Week 3 in Review

Has it really been another week? This one went FAST! It seems as if I JUST wrote last week's review. I'm even a day late (and a dollar short?) because we had an awesome day yesterday and was too busy to write.

Schoolwise, Emma did:

Algebra: finished Pace 2, and got a 90% on her test.

Ancient History/Literature: labeled a map of Egypt, and read 20 chapters in Genesis, and continued in the books, "Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt", and, "Tales of Ancient Egypt".

Writing: we read, discussed, and did examples in chapter 2, "Persuasive Essays", and she chose a topic, and we brainstormed ideas for points to support that topic.

Chemistry: She read the first section in chapter 2 ( molecular bonding), answered the first set of summary questions, and watched the 4th video in Chemistry 101.

French: we began chapter 2. This is a long, information packed chapter, so we are only about a third of the way through. Emma does very well in French,  (tres bien en Francais), but to learn a new language I want to be thorough! I'm not setting a time limit to finish book one; I'd rather she learn it through and through. We progressed normally, but I do LOTS of review every day on vocabulary, pronunciation, spelling, language rules, and grammar. I am SO impressed with Galore Park's presentation to teaching this beautiful language!

As we get further into the year, I hope to add curriculum reviews for each subject we are doing. I know reviews from parents that have personally USED certain curriculum have always helped me make choices for my children. But I hate when I read reviews that someone wrote after only a week or two of usage.

Yesterday (Saturday) we went to a nearby sweetcorn festival for the day. The weather was gorgeous...not hot or humid as it usually is. We, of course, ate corn on the cob, walked around, and ate fair food. Neither of my daughter's wanted to ride rides this year, so they grew bored quickly. My boyfriend and I, however, found lots to do. I bought 2 things at the flea markets. (Cheap scentsy, and a set of two beautiful blue glass ash trays for $3.)

But the coolest thing was that Jo Dee Messina was having a concert at the festival later last night. I didn't care to go, but as we were wandering around, I heard her band warming up. I usually don't even like live concerts, but her band impressed me so much that my boyfriend and I meandered over to the fence to listen a few minutes. The few minutes ended up being almost two hours, standing by the fence ended up with us walking around the fence into the grandstands, and the band ended up with Jo Dee, herself, singing entire songs, stopping the band, making corrections, redoing the songs till they were perfect. John and I were the only two people in the entire grandstands. We got our own private concert. It was really, really cool to me. And I have much more appreciation for Jo Dee Messina than I ever did before. That woman WORKS and is a perfectionist. She refused to stop practicing a song until it was just right in her ears. Also, her little boy is a drummer. Most of the time he was on stage drumming along on a drum pad, but at the end he was playing the real drums by himself to one of her songs.



All in all another productive week, with a fun, interesting day to top it off.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Weeks 17, 18, and 19, Christmas Break Begins

Done with 9th grade