1st quarter of 9th grade review. AKA weeks 6,7,8, and 9.
Oops! Every weekend I think about updating Emma's progress, and clearly I haven't managed to get around to it until now. We have been busy, busy, busy here.
Algebra: Emma just finished Pace 4. She did very well throughout the entire Pace, got A's on every assignment, and then for whatever reason she got an F on the test. She was in a horrible mood over EVERYTHING that day, so I don't know why she bombed a test on material she had no problems with, but the grade stands. This officially makes her 1/3 of the way through Algebra.
Ancient History/Literature: She has completed through lesson 17 (out of 90).
Writing: we are in chapter 7. Out of the first 9 writing chapters, 6 are on writing Persuasive Essays. She wrote 2. I think it is a bit of overkill having to write one for each different type though. We have the logical approach, the compare/contrast approach, the ethical/moral approach, and the emotional appeal. We are doing the lessons for each of those, but I will not require Emma to write an essay for each. She may choose one of the four and write one essay instead of all four.
Chemistry: we are in chapter 5. (acid/base neutralization reactions). Emma isn't as thrilled with Chemistry now that she is actually IN Chemistry, but she is doing well with it. It's just kind of meh. I am actually finding Chemistry interesting for the first time in my life.
French: we are a little over halfway through chapter 3. I cannot say enough good things about Galore Park's "So You Really Want to Learn French"! It is slow going for us because I constantly am doing review so she (and I) don't forget previous vocabulary, but I just can not get over how much information is PACKED into each page of this book! Emma is learning a ton and retaining it. We still often laugh our way through lessons. This is an amazing program, especially for the price.
Life: Emma and her sister spend every Saturday (and often other days) babysitting their 3 nephews, ages 4,3, and 1. Great experience, and a good way to earn money. Emma is back in full swing in gymnastics, and so far doing well. The past several weeks her sisters and I and my boyfriend have spent a lot of "Emma time", as she has been going through some personal issues and depression. She is really struggling some days, doing better on others. It makes me so sad and helpless feeling to watch my sweet, beautiful 14 year old going through such pain.
Algebra: Emma just finished Pace 4. She did very well throughout the entire Pace, got A's on every assignment, and then for whatever reason she got an F on the test. She was in a horrible mood over EVERYTHING that day, so I don't know why she bombed a test on material she had no problems with, but the grade stands. This officially makes her 1/3 of the way through Algebra.
Ancient History/Literature: She has completed through lesson 17 (out of 90).
Writing: we are in chapter 7. Out of the first 9 writing chapters, 6 are on writing Persuasive Essays. She wrote 2. I think it is a bit of overkill having to write one for each different type though. We have the logical approach, the compare/contrast approach, the ethical/moral approach, and the emotional appeal. We are doing the lessons for each of those, but I will not require Emma to write an essay for each. She may choose one of the four and write one essay instead of all four.
Chemistry: we are in chapter 5. (acid/base neutralization reactions). Emma isn't as thrilled with Chemistry now that she is actually IN Chemistry, but she is doing well with it. It's just kind of meh. I am actually finding Chemistry interesting for the first time in my life.
French: we are a little over halfway through chapter 3. I cannot say enough good things about Galore Park's "So You Really Want to Learn French"! It is slow going for us because I constantly am doing review so she (and I) don't forget previous vocabulary, but I just can not get over how much information is PACKED into each page of this book! Emma is learning a ton and retaining it. We still often laugh our way through lessons. This is an amazing program, especially for the price.
Life: Emma and her sister spend every Saturday (and often other days) babysitting their 3 nephews, ages 4,3, and 1. Great experience, and a good way to earn money. Emma is back in full swing in gymnastics, and so far doing well. The past several weeks her sisters and I and my boyfriend have spent a lot of "Emma time", as she has been going through some personal issues and depression. She is really struggling some days, doing better on others. It makes me so sad and helpless feeling to watch my sweet, beautiful 14 year old going through such pain.
Comments
Post a Comment