Week 13; A Much Better Week

This week was much more productive, starting with about 4 hours after my last post. Emma mastered her cartwheel on the beam in gymnastics last Saturday, and her coach sent me video to show me. I am so happy for her!  She did well with school this week too.

Algebra: we began Pace 6, and got through the first two checkups. She is working in graphing simultaneous equations. She had some sloppiness issues the first day, but has done excellently since. I'm hoping to get Pace 6 done by Thanksgiving week, and Pace 7 done by Christmas break, but it all depends on how fast she "gets it".

Ancient History/Literature: Emma is finishing reading, "Mara, Daughter of the Nile" this weekend, has begun taking notes for her research paper on Ancient Egypt, and we have begun discussing the Ancient Agean civilizations in preparation for our unit on Ancient Greece. While I love all ancient history, I'm excited to be doing Greece most of all. I never learned ANY of this in school, and it is SO interesting to me. Emma already knows a Ron, as she has been fascinated with Greek mythology and read many books about it for the past couple of years.

Writing: we haven't done anything essay related this week. Emma has been working on her History research report, and doing her free writing in the story prompt book her sister bought her, so that is plenty for right now.

Chemistry: We sped through chapter 6, Mixtures and Solution, and yesterday Emma did an interesting lab to finish the chapter. She made soap emulsions, and hypothesized which ones would dissolve vegetable oil the best. She whined about it a little, but she needs to do labs to earn her lab credit component too, and it ended up not only being interesting, but also resulted in her best lab report thus far.





French: We are in chapter 4, plodding along, and will probably be in chapter 4 till at least Thanksgiving. Still our "fun" subject.

Life: Emma still babysits every Saturday, does gym 4 days a week, and of course, school. She has not been feeling well at all though. I'm very worried about her. She keeps having spells of tachycardia (excessively rapid pulse), chest pain, and dizziness. I have an appointment scheduled the 20th (the soonest available). I think part of her problem might be anemia, so have started her on vitamins with Iron, but with my heart issues, it scares me. She is so young. The episodes have left her in tears several times. She insists upon keeping up with gymnastics, but I have insisted to her coach that she NOT do any cardio activities till she has been seen by a doctor.

Emma's happy news this week (in addition to a great school week) was finding out how valuable phone insurance is. She had dropped her phone and broke it beyond repair. I simply called and filed a claim, and she received a brand new phone yesterday.

All in all one of our best weeks of 9th grade so far.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Weeks 17, 18, and 19, Christmas Break Begins

Done with 9th grade