10th Grade!
Emma and I have had a busy summer. She has learned how to mow the grass, and helps me with my two yards. She goes to gymnastics 3 days a week, plus had a full time week of intensive gymnastics camp. Emma lost a young cousin to suicide last month, and she and I went to Oklahoma and Texas for a week to spend time with family. Yesterday Emma completed her first week of tenth grade.
We are focusing on the Medieval time period this year. I am making up my own history and literature curriculum. I bought Susan Wise Bauer's , "The History of the Medieval World." It is boring as all get out, and contains WAY more detailed information than anyone other than a college history major would care about, so that was pretty much a waste of money. Thankfully, I also bought several other things, such as, "The Middle Ages; Everyday Life in Medieval Europe", several books to read for literature, and several DVD s.
If anyone knows of any GOOD books or movies about the plague please comment. I have one documentary from The History Channel on it, but I'm not having much luck finding interesting books on the topic.
For writing, Emma is doing an in depth, one semester, course on developing characters. She will be doing this fairly independently, and I will just be checking her writing notebook once a week. She really likes this book, so if she continues to enjoy it, I plan to buy the second book in the series about setting.
Emma is doing Jacob's Geometry, with the lesson plans from MFW. Week 1 went well, but it's Geometry, so we will see as it gets more difficult.
She is also doing Friendly Biology. She did NOT want to do Biology for her science, but I said it's important to learn, and she has to. The first two chapters were very quick and easy, and she completed them in our first week.
Emma will also be taking Driver's Ed at our local community college IF I ever stop procrastinating, and actually get her signed up. This is my BABY, my youngest!
Emma asked if we could do French 2. After saying last year she didn't want to. So I guess I need to still order that. She also mentioned that she WANTS to take Algebra 2 next year, because she wants to go to college.
As for me, I am looking for a job. I had hoped to not have to work for 3 more years, so I could be at home full time till Emma graduates, but I can't afford to. Hopefully I can find something I'm able to do with all my physical problems, that has hours that work with homeschooling.
We had a good, and easy, first week.
We are focusing on the Medieval time period this year. I am making up my own history and literature curriculum. I bought Susan Wise Bauer's , "The History of the Medieval World." It is boring as all get out, and contains WAY more detailed information than anyone other than a college history major would care about, so that was pretty much a waste of money. Thankfully, I also bought several other things, such as, "The Middle Ages; Everyday Life in Medieval Europe", several books to read for literature, and several DVD s.
If anyone knows of any GOOD books or movies about the plague please comment. I have one documentary from The History Channel on it, but I'm not having much luck finding interesting books on the topic.
For writing, Emma is doing an in depth, one semester, course on developing characters. She will be doing this fairly independently, and I will just be checking her writing notebook once a week. She really likes this book, so if she continues to enjoy it, I plan to buy the second book in the series about setting.
Emma is doing Jacob's Geometry, with the lesson plans from MFW. Week 1 went well, but it's Geometry, so we will see as it gets more difficult.
She is also doing Friendly Biology. She did NOT want to do Biology for her science, but I said it's important to learn, and she has to. The first two chapters were very quick and easy, and she completed them in our first week.
Emma will also be taking Driver's Ed at our local community college IF I ever stop procrastinating, and actually get her signed up. This is my BABY, my youngest!
Emma asked if we could do French 2. After saying last year she didn't want to. So I guess I need to still order that. She also mentioned that she WANTS to take Algebra 2 next year, because she wants to go to college.
As for me, I am looking for a job. I had hoped to not have to work for 3 more years, so I could be at home full time till Emma graduates, but I can't afford to. Hopefully I can find something I'm able to do with all my physical problems, that has hours that work with homeschooling.
We had a good, and easy, first week.
Comments
Post a Comment